The AOC would like to share the following updates in relation to Coronavirus and the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games;
- Australian health authorities have not implemented any travel restrictions in relation to Japan.
- The Australian Government does however recommend that travellers exercise a high degree of caution in Japan, due to a heightened risk of local transmission.
- We remain vigilant and concerned - but it is important that people remain calm and act on the best health advice available.
- We are continuing to plan on the assumption that the Tokyo Games are proceeding as planned.
- The AOC is liaising with all Olympic sports offering advice based on the best available information.
- Based on their individual circumstances, sports are taking prudent steps with regard to test events, international competitions and training camps.
- We are taking expert advice from the Commonwealth Department of Health, the World Health Organisation (WHO), Japan Ministry of Health and Tokyo Games Organising Committee (TOCOG).
- Dr David Hughes, AOC Medical Director for the Tokyo Games and Chief Medical Officer for the AIS also continues to provide regular advice.
- John Coates, as Chair of the IOC Coordination Commission for the Tokyo Games is well placed to keep us informed.