Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) President John Coates AC has welcomed the inclusion of eight Australians on a range of International Olympic Committee (IOC) Commissions.
Mr Coates, who Chairs two Commissions, says Australians will play an important role in the work done by the Commissions as the Olympic movement focuses on bringing the world together through sport.
“I note that the IOC’s commitment to gender equality now sees 47.4% of Commission membership occupied by women, up from 45.4% last year.
“Australia is represented by four women and four men in a total of eight Commissions.
“I further note that IOC President Thomas Bach remains committed to increase the number of women who Chair and are members of Commissions with 11 of the 30 Commissions now chaired by women, a record high.
“This increased representation ensures that the female voice is heard and that sport can play such a significant role in bringing about gender equality.
The Australians appointed to IOC Commissions are:
- John Coates AC: Chair, Legal Affairs Commission, Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games Coordination Commission
- Helen Brownlee AM: Women in Sport Commission
- James Tomkins OAM: Athletes’ Commission, Olympic Programme Commission, Marketing Commission
- Kitty Chiller AM: Athletes’ Entourage Commission
- Catherine Freeman OAM: Sport and Active Society Commission
- Mark Woodforde OAM: Communications Commission
- Moya Dodd: Athletes Entourage Commission
- Ryan Stokes: Olympic Education
Full list of IOC Commissions for 2020.